Railcar

R.M.30

Built in 1938, R.M.30 was the first of 6 Standard railcars. They were designed with a driving cab at each end and seating in two compartments with a centre toilet. When built R.M.30 had seating for 36 passengers in second class and 12 in first class. This was changed later when the first class seats were removed and 16 second class seats fitted in their place. The original Leyland Diesel engines were replaced in the early 1950s with Meadows diesel engines. They are mounted under the driver’s seat at both ends.

Type:
Railcar
Status:
In Service
R.M.5

Built in 1936, R.M.5 was one of 6 Wairarapa Railcars principally designed for use over the steep Rimutaka Incline railway between Upper Hutt and Featherston. The section between Summit and Cross Creek used the Fell Centre Rail for adhesion and braking. As this rail sat up higher than the running rails the car was designed to clear it. Originally powered with a Leyland petrol engine this was later changed to a Leyland diesel to lessen the fire risk. Mainly used between Wellington and Masterton the Wairarapa railcars did occasionally venture further afield to places like Gisborne.

Type:
Railcar
Status:
Under Restoration
Notes: 
Leased to Pahiatua Railcar Society
R.M.34 NZR Publicity

R.M.34 named Tainui, has a similar history to R.M.30 except it was built with the seating arrangement it currently has as opposed to R.M.30 originally having a first class compartment. R.M.34 was the first of the Standard railcars to be repainted in the red livery. Retired in 1972, 34 was originally purchased as a source of spare parts but it was quickly decided that it would remain in operating condition.

Type:
Railcar
Status:
Stored