In Service

De508

De508 was built by the English Electric Company in Preston , England in 1951, makers number 1746 and entered service with New Zealand Railways in 1952. The locomotive is powered by an English Electric 6SRKT 6 cylinder turbocharged diesel engine which produces 660 Hp which drives through a generator to 4 traction motors (2 per bogie).

Type:
Diesel
Status:
In Service
L509

Ten L class locos were built by the Avonside Engine Company of Bristol in England. Built in 1877 our loco (makers number 1207) entered service in Wanganui in 1878 and was initially numbered L30. Renumbered L21 in 1882 and later in 1890 became L219. The locomotive was transferred to Wellington in 1888. Here 219 was used on trains around the greater Wellington area before being sold to the Public Works Department (PWD) in 1903. The locomotive was then known as PWD 509 being used on construction work, firstly on the North Island Main Trunk line and later on the Raetihi branch line.

Type:
Steam
Status:
In Service
R.M.30

Built in 1938, R.M.30 was the first of 6 Standard railcars. They were designed with a driving cab at each end and seating in two compartments with a centre toilet. When built R.M.30 had seating for 36 passengers in second class and 12 in first class. This was changed later when the first class seats were removed and 16 second class seats fitted in their place. The original Leyland Diesel engines were replaced in the early 1950s with Meadows diesel engines. They are mounted under the driver’s seat at both ends.

Type:
Railcar
Status:
In Service
Price 221

Built in 1968 by A and G Price in Thames #221 is a 0-6-0 diesel hydraulic shunting locomotive. 221 was built for use at the New Zealand Steel mill at Glenbrook south of Auckland. Powered originally by a Catapillar D343 engine it is now powered by a Rolls Royce/Perkins C8-TCA. Used at the steel mill up until 2000, a damaged final drive saw the locomotive withdrawn from service.

Type:
Diesel
Status:
In Service

F678 was built at the Addington Workshops in Christchurch in 1955 and is a 30' steel clad guards van. It is currently on lease from Feilding and District Steam Rail Society and arrived at Silver Stream Railway in October 2013. It is used on our passenger trains on operating days.

Type:
Guards Van
Status:
In Service

Eb26 was built by NZR at the Hutt Workshops using componants supplied by the Goodman Manufacturing Company in the USA in 1929, originally as a battery electric locomotive. It was based at the workshops for many years being used on light shunting duties in the car and wagon workshop. Over time the storage batteries started to fail so a war surplus AEC generator set was mounted on the original underframe along with a new cab in 1953. The generator was hooked up to the original traction motors converting the loco into a diesel electric.

Type:
Diesel
Status:
In Service

La18921 is a highside wagon built in 1938 at the Addigton Workshops in Christchurch and was obtained in 1979.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service
L4246


Wooden high side wagon. Built 1897. Purchased by Silver Stream Railway in early 1970's from New Zealand Railways. Last used in service in Christchurch before preservation. Was the first passenger carrying vehicle at the restored SSR in 1979. Used in service until 1986 before being laid up awaiting repairs. Restoration commenced in 2008 and it re entered service fitting with seating in 2012

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service
Na1833

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service