Stored

M1573

This wagon started life as a low side ballast wagon with the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company as BM1. When the WMR was taken over by the NZR it became M1573 and later E1143. In later life it carried a 2 ton capacity hand crane #263, likely last based at Eastown before it was written off. It made its way to Hutt workshops and was used their as a place to store parts of locomotives that were being overhauled. It was purchased by SSR in 1982 and moved there by road. It was never used except for storing spare Standard railcar motors. It was finally moved undercover in 2017.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Stored

Built in 1928 Uc826 is a Uc-3 2 compartment tank wagon used for transporting oil or petrol.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Stored

 La22295 ia an La-8 that was built at Otahuhu Workshops in Auckland in 1946. It came to us from Feilding and Districts Steam Rail Society where it was surplus to requirements. Thanks to the team at Feilding for making it avaliable to us and our members who contributed towards its purchase and relocation.

 

More photos of La22295 can be found here

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Stored
Barclay 1181

Barclay 1181 was built in Scotland in 1909 for the Wellington Meat Export Company Ngauranga freezing works. It was used to shunt wagons from the NZR sidings up into the works. 1181 was in use until c1963 when serious boiler trouble saw it withdrawn from servie. 1181 was aquired by preservationist Len Southward who moved the loco to his factory in Seaview. In 1981 1181 was gifted to Steam Incorporated and stored at the Paekakareki depot. In1996 a group of Steam Inc's younger members nicknamed the Barclay Boys commenced work on a project to evantually return the loco to operation.

Type:
Steam
Status:
Stored
531

Built in 1921 at the Kilmarnock Scotland works of Andrew Barclay and Sons, Makers number 1749 is now the smallest Ex New Zealand Railways steam locomotive still in existence. Purchased by the Public works Department, 1749 became PWD 531.

Type:
Steam
Status:
Stored
Notes: 
Leased from Hawkes Bay Steam Society
R.M.34 NZR Publicity

R.M.34 named Tainui, has a similar history to R.M.30 except it was built with the seating arrangement it currently has as opposed to R.M.30 originally having a first class compartment. R.M.34 was the first of the Standard railcars to be repainted in the red livery. Retired in 1972, 34 was originally purchased as a source of spare parts but it was quickly decided that it would remain in operating condition.

Type:
Railcar
Status:
Stored
Crane 124

Ransomes and Rapier steam crane number 124 was built around 1946. It was understood to have originally been built for a metre gauge railway in Africa who later cancelled their order. The crane was then advertised for sale world wide as war surplus. New Zealand Railways purchased the crane the same year but it was not put into service until 1948. The delay after purchase is rumoured to have been the time taken to regauge the crane to 3ft 6in. Originally based at Frankton , 124 was used mainly on Way and Works service i.e. lifting track sets, bridges etc.

Type:
Crane
Status:
Stored
D143

D143 was built by Neilson and Company Glasgow Scotland in 1847 maker’s number 1847. The locomotive was one of  the first of 22 D class locomotives built by Neilsons and also Scott Brothers in Christchurch New Zealand. Entering service in April 1875 143 became the first locomotive allocated to the Isolated Nelson Section. Here it was named Trout. In 1882 it became D1 and in 1890 D143. 143 was first used on construction trains on the Nelson Line and later on Goods and Passenger trains.

Type:
Steam
Status:
Stored
Notes: 
Leased to Nelson Railway Society.
D137

D137 was built in Christchurch at Scott Brothers in 1887 makers’ number 31, entering service with New Zealand Government Railways that year. 137 was based in Wellington all of its working life. In 1901, 137 was sold to the Gear Meat company in Petone becoming their number 2. It worked at the company's large freezing works with extensive rail sidings near the Petone foreshore.

Type:
Steam
Status:
Stored
Gear Meat #3

This locomotive was built by the firm of Andrew Barclay, Sons and Company of Kilmarnock, Scotland in 1913 maker’s number 1335. It was ordered by the Gear Meat Company of Petone who had an extensive railway network at the Freezing works near the foreshore in Petone. 1335 is an 4-4-0 tank locomotive that weighted 26 tons in working order. The 4-4-0 wheel arrangement was not overly common in New Zealand and 1335 is understood to have been one of only two industrial locomotive with this wheel arrangement. Both have been preserved.

Type:
Steam
Status:
Stored