Under Restoration

A1833

A1833 was built in the Otahuhu Workshops in Auckland in 1935 one of 10 similar carriages out shopped that year. It has retained its as built appearance for its entire life having 2 compartments with seating for 18 passengers in one and 21 in the other in a 2+1 seating arrangement and is now the sole survivor of this type of car although a similar car is at MOTAT in Auckland.

Type:
Carriage
Status:
Under Restoration
R.M.5

Built in 1936, R.M.5 was one of 6 Wairarapa Railcars principally designed for use over the steep Rimutaka Incline railway between Upper Hutt and Featherston. The section between Summit and Cross Creek used the Fell Centre Rail for adhesion and braking. As this rail sat up higher than the running rails the car was designed to clear it. Originally powered with a Leyland petrol engine this was later changed to a Leyland diesel to lessen the fire risk. Mainly used between Wellington and Masterton the Wairarapa railcars did occasionally venture further afield to places like Gisborne.

Type:
Railcar
Status:
Under Restoration
Notes: 
Leased to Pahiatua Railcar Society