Awaiting Overhaul

C847

C847 was the third C class heavy shunting locomotive built at Hillside Workshops is Dunedin in 1930 maker’s number 255. The C class were designed as heavy shunting engines with a light axle loading to allow them to be used on wharves and other light track. Until the time of their design most shunting had been done with older obsolete classes of locomotives. Twenty four C’s were built 12 each at Hillside and Hutt Workshops. They saw service mainly in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. C847 was initially based in Dunedin but was transferred north to Christchurch in 1934.

Type:
Steam
Status:
Awaiting Overhaul
Af941

Af941 was built in the Petone workshops in Wellington in 1906 the first in a group of 5 60' carvans. It had seating in two compartments for 72 passengers and a large guards compartment at one end and had a closed in balcony on the other end. 941 was  originally used between Wellington and Upper Hutt behind a small D class locomotive as a fore runner to the self propelled railcar. Of all the carriages in the SSR collection this is the most historically important to the Hutt Valley. Af941 was based in Wellington all its life.

Type:
Carriage
Status:
Awaiting Overhaul
A382

A382 was built in 1900 in the Petone Workshops in Wellington. Originally built as a straight passenger car with longitudinal seating for 36 passengers, 382 was converted in 1911 to a Af Carvan, meaning that one end had a small guards compartment built into it. It was also fitted with sliding doors on either side at the guard end. 382 remained in this form for the rest of its life with NZR. In 1955 A382 became Ea2935 and was used in non revenue Way and Works service until 1975 when it was purchased by SSR and was subsequently restored in the early 1990s back to its original form.

Type:
Carriage
Status:
Awaiting Overhaul