Rolling Stock

N596

11' Timber Truck wagon. N596 was built in 1890 and was once used with another similar wagon to carry long loads such as logs or rails and was fitted with a timber bolster and stanchions. Later the bolster was removed and it was used as a runner wagon. Initially preserved at the Bush Tramway Club near Huntly, 596 was moved to Silver Stream Railway in 2012 for restoration.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Awaiting Restoration
E3703

E3703 started life as a wooden bodied insulated meat wagon W606 built in 1934. In 1964 it was rebuilt to its current form. That involved removing the wooden body and floor and fitting a steel tank . The wheels were also fitted with package roller bearings. In this form 3703 was mainly used for the transport of creosote from Gas Works to Sleeper treatment plants before being withdrawn in the 1990s and stored for several years at Hutt shops before being obtained by SSR in 2002. It is currently used to store fuel for Ka 935.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Operational
L4246


Wooden high side wagon. Built 1897. Purchased by Silver Stream Railway in early 1970's from New Zealand Railways. Last used in service in Christchurch before preservation. Was the first passenger carrying vehicle at the restored SSR in 1979. Used in service until 1986 before being laid up awaiting repairs. Restoration commenced in 2008 and it re entered service fitting with seating in 2012

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service
A1833

A1833 was built in the Otahuhu Workshops in Auckland in 1935 one of 10 similar carriages out shopped that year. It has retained its as built appearance for its entire life having 2 compartments with seating for 18 passengers in one and 21 in the other in a 2+1 seating arrangement and is now the sole survivor of this type of car although a similar car is at MOTAT in Auckland.

Type:
Carriage
Status:
Under Restoration
A1448

A1448 was built in 1915 at the Newmarket Workshops in Auckland . It is a narrow body 47'6" high capacity surburban carriage with seating for 72 passengers and was based in Auckland for most of its working life. In 1970 it was converted for Way and Works service and Classified Ea3872. This conversion consisted of removing all the seats, blanking some of the windows and installing 2 large sliding doors. In this guise it was used by the Thermit Welding Gang in Wellington untill it was Purchased by SSR member Keith Magnussen in the late 1970's.

Type:
Carriage
Status:
Awaiting Restoration
E606

E606 was originally built as L 11994 a steel bodied high side wagon in 1916 and was converted to its present form in 1937. This consisted of making the sides higher and fitting a curved steel roof. In this form 606 was used as a weigh bridge test car being fitted with weights on the inside to calibrate weigh bridges in the North Island. Stored in the scrap line at Hutt after withdrawal 606 was purchased by SSR and initially used as a coal store. It is currently used as a store for signal parts.
 

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Static Display
Notes: 
Used as storage
Kp3231

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Static Display

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service
M1349

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Awaiting Restoration
X530

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Awaiting Restoration