Rolling Stock

A382

A382 was built in 1900 in the Petone Workshops in Wellington. Originally built as a straight passenger car with longitudinal seating for 36 passengers, 382 was converted in 1911 to a Af Carvan, meaning that one end had a small guards compartment built into it. It was also fitted with sliding doors on either side at the guard end. 382 remained in this form for the rest of its life with NZR. In 1955 A382 became Ea2935 and was used in non revenue Way and Works service until 1975 when it was purchased by SSR and was subsequently restored in the early 1990s back to its original form.

Type:
Carriage
Status:
Awaiting Overhaul
Aa1235

Aa1235 was built in 1912 in the Petone Workshops in Wellington as a wide body 50' car mainly for use on the North Island Main Trunk Railway. Originally built with a centre toilet it was rebuilt to its present form in 1922 with a end toilet and seating for 46 passengers. In 1235's later life it was used on Suburban trains around Wellington. It was withdrawn in 1975 and after negotiations with NZR, was donated to SSR. Originally taken to the Seaview site 1235 became the first passenger carriage moved to SSR in 1980 joining L4246 as a passenger carrying vehicle behind L509 .

Type:
Carriage
Status:
In Service
Aa1601

Aa1601 was built in 1925 at the Newmarket Workshops in Auckland originally as a 1st class car. 1601 is similar to Aa1235 being a 50' wide body car just with a few slight differences most notably the seats and bogies, 1601 being fitted with the later style of flip over scarret seating and BP 25140 bogies. Based in Auckland for its working life 1601 was stored for a couple of years before being purchased by SSR and moved to the Seaview site before it was leased by Steam Incorporated in Paekakariki from 1982 till 1997.

Type:
Carriage
Status:
In Service

A2001 was built in the Addinton workshops in Christchurch in 1941 and A2010 in 1943 They are both 56' steel clad,  timber framed Carriages . Both were originally built as Ambulance cars. These had a sterilising room in one end , bunks for 20 paitents and large doors and the oppisite end to the sterilising room for loading and unloading the stretchers. They were both converted to single compartment first class cars in 1948 with seating for 32 passengers.

Type:
Carriage
Status:
Awaiting Restoration
Notes: 
A2001 Leased to Feilding Steam Rail. A2010 Stored at SSR

Hc1209. The Hc class were built between 1944 and 1953 and were the last class of 4 wheel cattle wagon built.

Of the 151 built, 1209 built in 1951, is now the sole remaining example in the North Island with just one other preserved in the South Island.

It is currently stored at the North End of the SSR site awaiting restoration.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Awaiting Restoration