Wagon

Built in 1928 Uc826 is a Uc-3 2 compartment tank wagon used for transporting oil or petrol.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Stored

 La22295 ia an La-8 that was built at Otahuhu Workshops in Auckland in 1946. It came to us from Feilding and Districts Steam Rail Society where it was surplus to requirements. Thanks to the team at Feilding for making it avaliable to us and our members who contributed towards its purchase and relocation.

 

More photos of La22295 can be found here

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Stored
N596

11' Timber Truck wagon. N596 was built in 1890 and was once used with another similar wagon to carry long loads such as logs or rails and was fitted with a timber bolster and stanchions. Later the bolster was removed and it was used as a runner wagon. Initially preserved at the Bush Tramway Club near Huntly, 596 was moved to Silver Stream Railway in 2012 for restoration.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Awaiting Restoration
E3703

E3703 started life as a wooden bodied insulated meat wagon W606 built in 1934. In 1964 it was rebuilt to its current form. That involved removing the wooden body and floor and fitting a steel tank . The wheels were also fitted with package roller bearings. In this form 3703 was mainly used for the transport of creosote from Gas Works to Sleeper treatment plants before being withdrawn in the 1990s and stored for several years at Hutt shops before being obtained by SSR in 2002. It is currently used to store fuel for Ka 935.

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Operational
L4246


Wooden high side wagon. Built 1897. Purchased by Silver Stream Railway in early 1970's from New Zealand Railways. Last used in service in Christchurch before preservation. Was the first passenger carrying vehicle at the restored SSR in 1979. Used in service until 1986 before being laid up awaiting repairs. Restoration commenced in 2008 and it re entered service fitting with seating in 2012

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service
E606

E606 was originally built as L 11994 a steel bodied high side wagon in 1916 and was converted to its present form in 1937. This consisted of making the sides higher and fitting a curved steel roof. In this form 606 was used as a weigh bridge test car being fitted with weights on the inside to calibrate weigh bridges in the North Island. Stored in the scrap line at Hutt after withdrawal 606 was purchased by SSR and initially used as a coal store. It is currently used as a store for signal parts.
 

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Static Display
Notes: 
Used as storage
Kp3231

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Static Display

Type:
Wagon
Status:
In Service
M1349

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Awaiting Restoration
X530

Type:
Wagon
Status:
Awaiting Restoration